IMPORTANT THINGS // A SERIES AT NEW CITY CHURCH
The following content is based on the message “What is Truth?” spoken on 10/09/16 by Brian Kruckenberg at New City Church in Phoenix, AZ. The following is not meant to be a full synopsis of the message but rather a brief look at the main ideas. To use this Study Guide effectively you must listen to the message found at https://newcityphx.com/sermons/.
Leaders using these Study Notes for group study and reflection should read the Biblical text thoroughly before beginning, using this resource as assistance and not relying solely on this material for insight. We encourage all leaders to pray and ask the Spirit for revelation as they lead their respective communities.
Pray and ask God to lead the discussion as everyone gets to share.
THE SCRIPTURE: JOHN 18:33-40
HOW DOES TRUTH COME FROM THE KINGDOM?
Jesus said, “everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice”. If we think about listening to Jesus’ voice, more than anything else, Jesus spoke of his kingdom. That is where we find truth if we submit ourselves to the king.
Truth comes from having a kingdom perspective.
There are two kingdoms that we could live in—man’s kingdom or God’s kingdom. In man’s kingdom, man decides what is true. In the kingdom of God, we humbly acknowledge God as the one who states what’s true.
- What are some reasons that living in man’s kingdom might seem easier than living in God’s kingdom?
- What kind of link do you see between someone’s kingdom perspective and their perception of truth?
- What are some ways that you see the kingdom of God operating in a different manner than the kingdoms of men?
DISCOVER THE TRUTH?
Truth is not something that we need to create. But we don’t believe that anymore. We think that we conform reality to our wishes, and that truth is something that we decide. When we look to self for truth, we will eventually become disillusioned. Pilate falls into this trap in our passage. The idea of identity shaped completely alone, apart from anything external, is a myth.
Truth is not created. Truth is.
- If you look in the world around you, how do you see people trying to create their own truth?
- How could someone’s identity, formed on a created reality, be unstable?
HOW DO WE FOLLOW THE TRUTH?
You discover the Kingdom of truth when turn from your own way and turn to Jesus. Jesus came to earth and dwelled among us, filled with grace and truth. This is how we should live.
In John 14:6, Jesus himself said, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
- What kind of identity do followers of Jesus receive through him?
- How does repentance play a role in following the Truth?
- Talk about a time that you did not walk in a balance of grace and truth.
- Why do you think that people who walk in grace and truth will have enemies on both sides of an issue?
- Pray that God would lead each of us in grace and truth.